Hand cream is a must. It’s a skin product that should be put on your priority list when you shop at convenience and grocery stores because it is essential to health. As you know, hand cream could help you soften your skin. It also prevents your hands from getting older. If you have noticed, the skin on the back of your hands are thin, so if you do not pay attention and take care of them, your skin will be exposed from harmful rays of the sun. As a result of frequent exposure to the sun, they will get dry and rough.
That’s why you need to own a hand cream and if possible, carry it with you whenever you are traveling. Hand creams can be bought at any cosmetic stores near you. If you want, however, you can come up with your very own hand cream. Yes, you’ve read it right. Isn’t it time to unleash your inner creativity and resourcefulness? By being able to create your own hand cream. You will gain a lot of benefits, including saving tons of money.
Below are the tips on how to make natural homemade hand cream. The ingredients are purely natural and safe so you’re good to go.
- ¼ cup shea butter
- 1/8 cup sweet almond oil
- 10 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 10 drops myrrh essential oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
Benefits of the Mentioned Ingredients
Shea butter is included in the ingredients because it has powerful moisturizing properties that could make the skin on the hands a lot healthier and smoother. Sweet almond oil, on the other hand, is beneficial for the skin because it contains vitamins and minerals that are essential for skin health.
Beeswax is also needed to come up with your own hand lotion because it is the one that helps the shea butter become firm. Aside from that, it also has the ability to make the skin smoother, healthier, and stronger.
When a myrrh essential oil is added to the hand cream, it helps soothe the skin on the hands. Same goes with the cedarwood essential oil which also soothes and nourishes the skin.
Where to Buy the Ingredients
Shea butter, sweet almond oil, cedarwood oil, myrrh oil, and beeswax can be bought at any stores near you. They can also be purchased at online stores like Amazon.
If you can’t find a shea butter, you can substitute it with 1/8 cup of coconut oil or cocoa butter. If you do not have sweet almond oil either, on the other hand, you can choose olive oil or jojoba oil.
Cedarwood and myrrh essential oils are some of the ingredients to complete your hand cream recipe, but if they are absent, you can also substitute them with other essential oils that give the same benefits to the skin such as sandalwood, geranium, frankincense, and lavender essential oil.
The ingredients that are mentioned above result to an earthy, woodsy smell. If you want to opt for a feminine scent, however, the only ingredient that you need to add is a lavender essential oil. At least 2 to 3 drops of this oil will give you the scent that you desire.
- The first thing that you have to do is to have the shea butter melted together with sweet almond oil and beeswax. Make sure to put them together in a pot of simmering water.
- As the ingredients start to melt, stir them together.
- When everything is melted, remove the pot from the heat and let the mixture cool for about five to ten minutes.
- Next, prepare the essential oils and then stir them together with the melted mixture in a pot. Now, you are ready to have your own hand cream.
- Pour the liquid hand cream into a container. If you have a small glass, then it will be a good option for a container. Once the hand cream is poured into a container, wait for several hours until they are completely hardened.
- Now you are ready to use it. Apply the hand cream to your dry hands. Use it frequently as needed. If you have a long day at work, or if you constantly use your hands for labor, then you can apply your DIY natural hand cream as often as you want. Remember that because the ingredients are completely natural, you can’t expect to have side effects or any untoward skin reactions.
The amount of hand cream that you can come out from this recipe is only small. However, it can go a long way. You can double the recipe if you want to produce more hand creams that perhaps you can give to your friends and loved ones.
This DIY natural hand cream may get a little runny though when it’s summer time and the house is very hot. If this situation happens, what you just need to do is to put the hand cream in a fridge to keep it in its original composition.
You can apply this naturally made hand cream whenever you want. But it especially works at night. Right before you go to bed, you can apply an amount of it on your dry hands and discover great results in the morning. This is because of the butter that better soaks in your skin while you are sleeping and there are no chances of accidentally washing it off.
Shelf life of the Hand Cream
Compared to some homemade hand cream recipes, this natural homemade hand cream lasts longer than you could expect. It’s because all the ingredients are already shelf table. Plus, there is no water that is added. For best results, you can use this hand cream within 6 months.
Now you know how to make natural homemade hand cream and you are now ready to make your own. It is such an advantage for you to be able to produce your own hand cream because not only is this product essential to the health of your hands but it also gives you stress-relief because you’d get to channel your inner creativity.