We all need a reliable makeup mirror to help us in putting makeup and achieving that flawless look. Whether you consider yourself an expert at putting makeup or not, a makeup mirror is necessary to ensure that you are applying the right product in the right areas of your face.
When looking for the best makeup mirror to buy, you will surely be presented with so many choices. If you need help in finding the perfect makeup mirror, then you better read this guide.
Different Types of Makeup Mirrors
There are many different types of makeup mirrors nowadays and you need to familiarize yourself with these mirrors in order to find something that can work best for you.
- Wall mounted mirrors – from the name itself, these are mirrors that you mount to the wall directly and are designed in such a way that you need to move closer to the mirror when using it to put your make up on. The biggest benefit of using this kind of mirror is that it can help to free some space in your makeup table.
- Travel mirrors – if you’re fond of traveling and you need a mirror that you can carry with you, allowing you to apply makeup wherever you are, whether it’s in the car, at your office, etc. These portable mirrors usually come with attractive design, which most women can simply toss in their handbags. They are foldable as well so it’s convenient for women to carry them on their handbags.
- Tabletop mirrors – these are makeup mirrors that come with a base or a stand, which you can place on top of a desk or above your makeup table. These mirrors are common in homes and offices and are usually preferred by those who want to apply their makeup in a makeup desk.
- Vanities – these mirrors are large and also come with drawers where makeup essentials are stored. They are designed for the sole purpose of applying makeup. The vanities are common in bedrooms and makeup rooms.
Different Sizes of Makeup Mirrors
The makeup mirrors are also available in different sizes. You can choose the size depending on how you want to use the makeup mirror or where you intend to use it. Here are the different sizes to choose from:
- Small-sized makeup mirrors – these small mirrors are a great choice if you’re looking for something portable. They are ideal for travel and would easily fit in your pocket or small sized handbag. However, for those who have problems with their eyesight, they might find the small mirror difficult to use, although there are also lighted versions that are powered by a battery, making it easier to use even when the lighting is poor.
- Medium-sized makeup mirrors – these are portable mirrors that are a bit bigger than the small sized mirrors and will give you a clearer view of your face as you put on your makeup. There are also medium-sized makeup mirrors that come with a base and stand and can be placed on top of a makeup counter.
- Large-sized makeup mirrors – these mirrors are commonly used on vanity dresses and can be permanently mounted on a wall. They are huge enough to provide a clearer view of your face, and perhaps, your entire body, as you conveniently apply your makeup. This is helpful as it allows you to check if your outfit suits your makeup.
Deciding on the Right Size and Weight
People need mirrors for different reasons. Before you decide to buy the lighted makeup mirrors, you must first consider their size and weight. Small mirrors are suitable for traveling due to their portability. But if you prefer something that you can use on a tabletop, then you can opt for medium sized makeup mirrors that come with a stand.
On the other hand, if you prefer a makeup mirror that allows you to see your entire outfit while you apply your makeup, then go for the large size. Mirrors that are around 5 inches in height are best suited for kids and those that measure 7 inches and above are ideal for adults.
Distortion is another important aspect to consider when buying makeup mirrors. You should opt for mirrors that are made from a distortion-free glass material. These mirrors will be able to provide you with an incredibly clear view. If you want to be able to view your face clearly when applying your makeup, then you should choose this kind of mirror.
This factor usually applies to makeup mirrors use for the bathroom. If you want a makeup mirror that you intend to place in your bathroom, then it’s crucial to choose a mirror that’s fog resistant.
This means that the mirror is not capable of producing fogs that could hamper your view of yourself when putting your makeup on. These types of mirrors are made with a hydrophobic coating, which prevents the fogs from accumulating on the mirror.
The level of magnification is another factor to consider when buying a makeup mirror. Some mirrors can be magnified for up to 10 times, others come with up to 5 times of magnification. The magnification is useful for many reasons. For example, if you need to apply a makeup that would require utmost precision, such as putting eyeliner, then having a close-up view of your face is very important.
Another reason why some women need a makeup mirror with magnification is when they have problems with their vision and have to take off their eyeglasses when applying makeup.
If you’re going to use the mirror in a place with poor lighting, then it’s important to choose a makeup mirror that has a good lighting. There are makeup mirrors that have LED lights that mimic the natural lights and can work well for rooms that don’t get ample lighting.
There are hundreds of different types of makeup mirrors that you can find nowadays but it’s important that you choose something according to your needs. They may have the same purpose, which is to help you in applying makeup easily, but they come with different features. The guide above should be enough to help you to understand the different features available for makeup mirrors.